Saturday 25 May 2013

The perfect leopard-skin accessory!

One of my loves is the circus - just read the above extract from The Showman’s Girl. Another is old black and white photos in which people always look so much more glamorous than they do today.
So I couldn’t resist showing you this picture from David Barnaby’s new book The Great British Circus - Views of Martin Lacey (Book Guild).
The lady is Martin’s former wife June, seen here taking the circus takings to the bank. I can’t imagine her getting robbed with that little cheetah for protection!
The issue of animals in the circus is, of course, a thorny one. You can read more about it, including my interview with Martin Lacey, Britain’s last tiger trainer, on my (br)other blog Circus Mania.
Or, for a return to a more romantic times, download The Showman’s Girl and read about the adventures of a girl who runs away with the circus in the 1930s.

No comments:

Post a Comment